AFG Connects Usage Policy
Thank you for being part of our community. To ensure the best possible experience for all members, we have established guidelines for participation.
By joining and using this community, you agree that you have read and will follow the guidelines in this Usage Policy. You also agree to have discussions, share files, and provide information that is best for the members of this community. Participating in this community is a great way to get the feedback of your peers; benefit from their experience, strength, and hope; and participate in ongoing conversations. (Tradition One) If you have any questions for the World Service Office (WSO) Staff, please email your questions directly to the WSO via the “Contact Us” link on this site located in the upper right corner of each page.
To preserve an environment that encourages both polite and beneficial dialogue, we reserve the right in our sole discretion to remove content, moderate, and/or suspend or terminate membership in this community for anyone who violates the AFG Connects Usage Policy or otherwise acts in a manner inconsistent with the purposes and objectives of this community.
AFG Connects Etiquette
- Respect others. Focus on the content of posts and not on the people making them. (Traditions Two & Twelve)
- Use the community to share Al-Anon-related successes, challenges, provide constructive feedback, and ask questions of fellow service members. (Tradition Three)
- Respect intellectual property. Only post content that you have personally created or content which you have permission to use along with appropriate credit given to the originator. (Tradition Seven)
- Maintain confidentiality within the community—discussions held in communities are meant for those in the community. The same is true for documents posted in a community unless the author of the document has given permission for the document to be shared outside the community. (Tradition Six)
- Stay informed. Some trusted servants, such as World Service Conference Delegates, have access to multiple communities to help them stay informed. Trusted servants are encouraged to only post in a community if they are serving in that role. For example, a Delegate should only post in the WSC Members or Past and Current WSC Members communities. (Traditions Two, Four, & Seven)
Discussion Group Etiquette
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject. (Tradition Nine)
- Refrain from posting administrative messages, such as “remove me from the list,” to the community. Instead, see the instructions in the User Guide for updating email notification preferences. (Tradition Eight)
- Post Al-Anon-related content only. Outside content, such as passages from non-Conference Approved Literature, information about events that are not in keeping with our Announcing Events Policy, and links to external websites, will be removed. (Tradition Ten)
- Forgo linking to outside websites as AFG, Inc. does not support community members doing so from AFG Connects. (Traditions Six & Ten)
The Legal Stuff
This site is provided as a service for the members of Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc. (AFG, Inc.). AFG, Inc. is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. We disclaim all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by AFG, Inc. or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall AFG, Inc. be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants AFG, Inc. the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
AFG, Inc. does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of AFG, Inc. we will take all appropriate action.
AFG, Inc. reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
Remember the Risks Whenever You Use the Internet
While we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to us and you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any passwords or other account information. In addition, other Internet sites or services that may be accessible through our site have separate data and privacy practices independent of us, and therefore we disclaim any responsibility or liability for their policies or actions. Please contact those vendors and others directly if you have any questions about their privacy policies. For any other information please contact us using the Contact Us link.
Changes to This Statement
We may occasionally make changes or updates to the AFG Connects Usage Policy. We encourage you to periodically review this Policy to stay informed about how we can all best support each other while using this communications tool.
Updated December 2020